Tuesday, February 20, 2018

SUNSHINE COAST STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR SUCCULENT ARTISTRY

Stallholder Profile for Succulent Artistry



Your name: Deborah Groves

Your business name and facebook/website name and link:
Succulent Artistry


The suburb/town you live in now:
Little Mountain, Caloundra.

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?:
I make living succulent arrangements in hand-made or up-cycled quirky containers.  I have learnt a lot of skills over the past couple of years related to this.  From propogating succulents from a leaf or a cutting to using power tools to make timber boxes out of reclaimed timber.  Thank goodness for Youtube - you can learn just about anything on there! 




What inspired you to start your business?:
To be honest I don't remember what triggered my succulent obsession.  But I was spending too much money on succulents and decided I needed to start making money from them to support my habit!   Succulents are very addictive for some reason.  Fortunately I seem to have a knack for making beautiful arrangements that people love.  I also love making them - it satisfies the soul.

How long have you been creating?:
About 2 years.

Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?:
Well it is supposed to be part time, but I do spend an enormous amount of time on it because I love doing it.

Where do you sell your creations?:
The Handmade Expo at Noosa, the Mooloolaba Beach Markets, and sometimes from home (which is where I work).




What makes you so special or different?:
My attention to detail (I am perhaps a bit of a perfectionist).  But I won't consider an arrangement finished unless I am 100% happy with it.  That might mean pulling an arrangement apart several times to get it just right.  If I walk away from an arrangement and then come back to it and immediately love it then it is "done", but if I don't love it I start all over and work on it again until it is just right.


What is the most rewarding part of what you do?:
Seeing a single leaf grow into a beautiful plant.

What is your favourite product to make?:
I love finding quirky containers and planting them up.  I scour op-shops, second hand shops and even the rubbish dump shops for unusual containers.  It's like going on a treasure hunt,.


Do you teach classes or workshops?:
Not yet, but I have been giving this idea a lot of thought this year.  So "watch this space".

No comments: