Tuesday, October 10, 2017

NEW SUNSHINE COAST STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR AMAYZ MOSAICS

Stallholder Profile for Amayz Mosaics


I’m Heather May. I am originally from New Zealand but have not lived there for the last twenty-one years, instead have travelled the world, living and teaching in Borneo and The Bahamas for 11 years and now I love to call the Sunshine Coast home.
 
See some of my work on www.amayzmosaics.com.au  or Amayz Mosaics on Facebook.





I am a Mosaic Artist, having been inspired by travels to Gaudi’s work in Barcelona and the multitude of geometric design seen in nature and many images and artworks from different cultures such as the ancient Turkish mosaics in Sardis. I first began mosaicking when I arrived on the Sunshine Coast and joined a volunteer group of adults to mentor ‘at risk’ teens from local high schools. A suggested group project was a garden, decorated by student led mosaics and so the seed was planted. A few years passed and a couple of lessons at a local mosaic supply outlet and I was on my way.

I mosaic surfaces for both utility and ascetics. I have often used second hand furniture as much of it is made of beautiful wood and it seems exciting to ‘up do’ an old item to new.  Sanding and oiling I take pleasure in restoring something that was once obsolete. I also create mirrors and trivets, outside shower backings and mosaic tabletops that are new. Recently I have begun using material that will withstand the elements so that art can be displayed in garden and in water spaces.

I am based in my home at Mount Coolum and I feel very fortunate that I am able to spend so much of my time creating in such a beautiful part of the world.





My studio is a corner of my living room and home surrounds. Some stages of the work will see me outside grouting or sanding furniture or sitting over a piece at a delegated table. Currently I work part time teaching and spend as much of my free time mosaicing because I love it. Some of my work is currently for sale in ‘Makersville’, an outlet shop for local artists in Montville. I am about to swap some mosaic techniques in exchange for yoga lessons and I am happy to discuss commission work according to colour, size, design and purpose. 

No comments: