Monday, September 25, 2017

NEW HERVEY BAY STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR FORBIDDEN TIKI

Stallholder Profile for Forbidden Tiki

Your name: Geoff Pearce
Your business name and facebook/website name and link: https://forbiddentiki.net/
The suburb/town you live in now: Point Vernon, Hervey Bay Qld
What is it that you make and what skills do you use?: I make island/tiki themed artifacts like tiki bar clocks, ornaments and decorative panels and I paint similarly themed artworks. I also sculpt tiki statues from Hebel block.



What inspired you to start your business?: I have long been a fan of the post WWII fascination with the south seas and island lifestyle. The resurgence of the US lead tiki culture in more recent years rekindled my interest. I have a great affection for all things Hawaiian and like to express that feeling in the work I create. Following on from my interest I am a member of long standing of the US based forums, Tiki Central and The Fraternal Order of the Moai where I am known as Thurston Howell IV.
How long have you been creating? I have been creating this type of work for about 20 years but have been painting in various styles for twice that.
Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?: It is a part time hobby.
Where do you sell your creations?: I have sold in small venues like coffee houses in the Southern Highlands in NSW where I lived for some years and more recently in Hervey Bay in a Retro Store called Space & Oddity here in Hervey Bay. Later this year I can be found at The Handmade Expo & Vintage Market.






What makes you so special or different?: There are not so many tiki culture creatives in Australia and its about time we took hold of our place in the South Pacific and what we can offer to this genre.
What is the most rewarding part of what you do?: Seeing others appreciate what I have created.
What is your favourite product to make?: I guess I prefer painting canvasses and decorative panels with island motifs.
Do you teach classes or workshops?: No.

No comments: