Friday, March 17, 2017

NEW HERVEY BAY STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR KATHRYN'S CREATIONS

Stallholder Profile for Kathryn's Creations

Your name: Kathryn Rodda
Your business name and facebook/website name and link:  Kathryn's Creations    www.facebook.com/kathrynscreations   www.madeit.com.au/kathrynscreations
The suburb/town you live in now: Hervey Bay
What is it that you make and what skills do you use?: I make clothing, swimwear and dancewear for ladies and children. 
What inspired you to start your business?:  I began making my youngest son some shorts when he was a baby/toddler because his legs were way shorter (and chubbier) than his two older brothers, so the shorts they wore were long pants on him. I enjoyed it and as a stay at home Mum, and with my friend's encouragement, I decided to make them to sell. I have changed the style I make over the years and have gradually extended the sizes I make for. Swimwear and dancewear were last year's addition, and this year I have added a ladies line. 


How long have you been creating?:  I have always been creative and love craft. My Mum was a dressmaker while I was young, and she made amazing wedding and formal dresses in the small town we lived in. I learnt to sew with her and loved home economics in high school. She says I'm better than her, but I'm no where near up to making a beaded wedding dress like she use to make!
Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?:  I spend most of my time sewing, as I love being at home with my boys even though they are at school now. My husband is a nurse and works all kinds of shifts, so me being home works well for our family. I do a little bit of relief work at the local school but enjoy sewing more.
Where do you sell your creations?:  I have an online store through Madeit.com.au and also sell through Facebook and local markets. People can also contact me for custom orders that are able to be collected locally or posted all over Australia.
What makes you so special or different?:  I believe children should be dresses as children, not mini adults or teenagers. So, particularly for girls, my clothing is all modest and age appropriate, including my swimwear. This is particularly why I started making swimwear after seeing girls at the beach locally in very skimpy bikinis and also having friend's with girls complaining about the skimpy options once they reach the tween sizes. I like to make things that are bright and pretty and fun but still keep girls covered in the right places.



What is the most rewarding part of what you do?:  I love seeing a piece of fabric transform into a beautiful item of clothing and then to see pictures of people and children wearing my items is just the icing on the cake.
What is your favourite product to make?:  I love making pretty floral twirly dresses. I have 3 boys, so I love to indulge in my girly side through my sewing for little girls.
Do you teach classes or workshops?:  Not at this stage. I have toyed with the idea, but found it difficult to set up a teaching studio while we are renting. One day we might own our own house and I'll have a studio!

No comments: