Monday, March 13, 2017

NEW FOREST HILL STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR MISS POPSY

Stallholder Profile for Miss Popsy


Your name: Genevieve Berlin

Your Business name and Facebook name and link: Miss Popsy (www.misspopsy.net) (www.facebook.com/misspopsy)

The suburb/town you live in now: Upper Tenthill

What is it that you make and what skills do you use? I make a range of floral arrangements, from posies I sell each Friday for $35 and deliver to Toowoomba & the Lockyer Valley, to wedding/function arrangements. I describe my style as country cottage - I want my designs to look as though I've walked through Grandma's garden and picked whatever was in season. I also create Kokedamas (hanging plant balls) and potted succulents.





What inspired you to start your business? I've always wanted to run my own business and I love gardening. After I created our wedding floral arrangements I started to think maybe this could be a business idea. The idea stuck in my head for months and I finally made the jump October 2016 when I started Miss Popsy. December 2016 I took the leap of faith, leaving my corporate job to focus on building Miss Popsy.

How long have you been ‘creating’? Officially since October 2016, but I think I've always been creating posies and potted delights for my home.

Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business? Full-time Business.

Where do you sell your creations? Miss Popsy is run mainly online through my online store and through facebook. Forest Hill Handmade Expo Markets will be my 2nd market day, so I'm very excited to try something new!

What makes what you do special or different?  I think what I do is unique as I don't trade as a 'florist'. I admire what florists are able to do and create, they are very talented. I try to stay away from traditional florist arrangement styling, and stay within my country cottage style. I also think the custom order aspect of my business, whether it be florals or living plants, is unique. For my wedding and function customers, I prefer to meet face to face prior to quoting. I believe this allows them to feel comfortable with me, and I find I can understand what they are wanting better. I also have very limited wedding dates I make available throughout the year. This is so when I'm working on a couple's wedding, I'm only working on their wedding. They are 100% my focus. I really try hard to give the customer what they were wanting at the end of the day.




What is the most rewarding part of what you do? Hand delivering orders and seeing the smiles on people's faces. It makes the early 4am starts worth it when you know you've made someone's day!

What is your favourite product that you make? Wedding arrangements or custom orders were I have free reign to be creative. I tend to get so absorb in the arrangement, I will sit on the floor in my dining room for hours and I don't realise how much time has passed.

Do you teach classes or workshops? Unfortunately not at the moment. This is something I would love to do in the future though!

No comments: