Saturday, August 8, 2015

Stallholder Profile Bird on a Branch Designs

Our stallholder profile today is Bird on a Branch Designs.

Your name:
Kathleen Moon

Your Business name and facebook name and link:
• Bird on a Branch Designs

The suburb/town you live in now:
Warwick, (Previously Mackay & Whitsundays)

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?
Stringing, Wirework and Art Glass Bead Creation & Design.



What inspired you to start your business?
I began designing jewellery with my two sisters in Mackay for fun, which turned into an overwhelming obsession for beads and and the need to design interesting limited edition pieces. I constantly strive to surprise my customers with each new collection, and look forward to one on one consultation sessions which produce one off designs tailor made for each of my clients.

How long have you been ‘creating’?
13 years.

Is it a full time/part time/hobby or business?
Full time hobby/business.

Where do you sell your creations? 
The Handmade Expo and Vintage Market Toowoomba, Via Private Exhibition, various curated art & handmade craft markets & facebook.


What makes what you do special or different?
I take individual beads that appear foreign to each other, and combine them uniquely to create one harmonious and dynamic design that is spectacular!  I incorporate a wide variety of materials (beads and stringing medium) into my designs, and many of them can consist of not just one type of bead, ie semiprecious stone, but of many... Including resin, acrylic, faceted glass and crystal, wood, bone, shell, pearl, Swarovski or my own art glass lampwork beads designs and created in my glass studio.  I am first and foremost a jewellery designer with a flair for dynamic and contemporary design, who currently spends considerable time honing the art of creating unique art glass lampwork beads.

What is the most rewarding part of what you do?
Seeing a customer taken by surprise by one of my designs, and feeling a connection between their enjoyment for wearing my work, and mine, for designing that item.  I also love walking up the street and unexpectedly running into someone wearing my jewellery.  I take pride in all I create and the enjoyment it gives others is gratifying for me. 


What is your favourite product that you make?
Anything that is beaded. But my favourite is the "statement necklace". The "top-shelf item" that few people buy with exception to the most daring of customers, who not only choose that piece because it is remarkable, but because they are confident enough to wear it and bring it to life in style.

Do you teach classes or workshops?
I have in the past conducted beading classes predominantly for children out of my studio during school holiday periods and for birthday parties, when I resided in my hometown of Mackay last year. It was called the "Bead Buffet".  It was a huge success and I have video clips and photos on my fb page for your reference.

No comments: