Thursday, May 1, 2014

Stallholder Profile- Tina Barton designs

The third stallholder profile in our series is Tina from Tina barton designs.
Name: Tina Barton
Business name: Tina Barton Designs

Town you live in: Rockhampton, Queensland

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?  
I make modern handmade clothing with vintage appeal for children and ladies, sewing everything myself on my home sewing machine. 

What inspired you to start your business?  
After I had my first child 3 years ago I fell in love with quilting, and then making clothing.  My business started as a hobby which kept me busy while I was at home with baby.

How long have you been ‘creating’?  
I have always had a love of craft, learning to knit and crochet while still at primary school.  I learnt to use a sewing machine when I was a young teenager, but didn't have a lot of time for craft when I left school and got a 'real job'. 

Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business?  
Right now it is a part time business but when my kids start school I plan to grow my business to full time.

Where do you sell your creations? Online/markets etc.. 
I sell in an online shop on Madeit.com.au in between my pop up shop at The Handmade Expo.  You can also find me on Facebook!


What makes what you do special or different?  
I use a lot of vintage patterns of the 1950s era as well as modern patterns with a retro look.  I blend many different types of fabric in my clothing range, from quality 100% cotton, to linen, wool blends and even suiting fabrics.   I like to think that my range brings back memories of times gone by, but is still modern enough to wear today.

What is the most rewarding part of what you do?  
I am a perfectionist so I get a lot of satisfaction from the construction of a garment pattern and having all my seams line up perfectly, but what I love the most is seeing that garment being worn for the first time.  Something that was just fabric and thread, that I made into clothing, and now someone is actually wearing it!  That is a really good feeling.

What is your favourite product that you make?  
At the moment my favourite would have to be the ladies dresses.  I love that I can make dresses for women of all sizes and shapes and help give them the confidence to feel beautiful no matter their shape.

Do you teach classes or workshops? 
No.  I just simply don't have the time or space.

No comments: