Friday, May 2, 2014

Stallholder Profile House of Nicnax

Stallholder Profile..Nicole from House of Nicnax
Name: Nicole Macey

Business name: House of Nicnax


Town you live in now: Gosnells WA


What is it that you make and what skills do you use? 
I am best known for my handmade owl doorstops. I also make pillows, softies, nappy bag pouches and a few other bits and pieces. I love to sew – so I am always creating new things to bring to the markets! I also love to work with both new and upcycled materials


What inspired you to start your business? 
I started off making an owl doorstop for my grandma one day. From there I took a few orders and started selling to family and friends. I enjoy doing markets as I love meeting new people – both the customers and the other creative stall holders.


How long have you been ‘creating’? 
I have been making my doorstops and doing “House of Nicnax” for about 4 years now. I have been “creating” for as long as I can remember though. About 10yrs ago I used to sell handmade jewellery at a local market, and previous to that – as a kid- my sister and I used to make and sell finger puppets. I have very creative parents – so I blame them!!!


Is it a full time/ part time/hobby or business? 
It is still a bit of a hobby business but I do think it is becoming more of a part-time business as I am spending most of my days “owling”! I would like for it to become more of a part-time thing over the next year.


Where do you sell your creations? Online/markets etc.. 
Currently I have been selling at local markets and school fairs around the southern suburbs of Perth. I don’t have any regular ones at the moment – but as of August I will be attending the Rockingham Handmade Expo each month!!

I also sell online at www.etsy.com/shop/houseofnicnax and also on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/houseofnicnax


What makes what you do special or different? 
I love what I do! I create for me really and being able to sell it to people who love it is such a bonus!

My products are all handmade and designed by me.


What is the most rewarding part of what you do? 
Being able to do what I love! I love that people like my stuff so much that they want to buy it! It is also so rewarding when I stumble across my products on Instagram or Facebook. When people have taken the time to photograph their new doorstop and want to show it off to everyone!


What is your favourite product that you make?
Definitely my owl doorstops! Each one is so different and really does take on it’s own personality!

No comments: