Wednesday, September 12, 2018

ROCKHAMPTON STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR THE CAST IRON CROWN

Stallholder Profile for The Cast Iron Crown



Your name: Karena Galvin

Your Business name and Facebook/website name and link: The Cast Iron Crown
https://www.facebook.com/thecastironcrown/

The suburb/town you live in now: Berserker

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?: I make practical and pretty decor items from reclaimed pallet wood and recycled bits and pieces using basic woodworking skills and different painting techniques. I offer a custom painting service for heirloom furniture pieces, I upcycle and recreate pianos into new pieces such as desks or bars. I'm also a photographer and hope to introduce wall art into my repertoire in the near future.






What inspired you to start your business?: When we moved into our first home 5 years ago we had furniture items in all shades of timber and I wanted a more consistent look throughout our home so I decided to give painting a go. At first it was a bit scary but once I saw the transformation process it became addictive and I haven't looked back. Most of my inspiration come from shabby chic, rustic and primitive decor styles.

How long have you been creating?: I've always been creative, I often get an overwhelming urge to make, paint or photograph something. Sometimes it can be a curse!

Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?: Part time business.

Where do you sell your creations?: Through Facebook and The Handmade Expo. 







What makes you so special or different?: I think my willingness to give it a go, be brave and embrace the creative process. I didn't know I could make a box until I tried, and using timber that would otherwise be thrown away to make something beautiful that will hopefully be treasured for many years to come.

What is the most rewarding part of what you do?: The way people react to something special that I've made.

What is your favourite product to make?: The piano recreation is my favourite, but I have a thing for wooden boxes, theres something about a special little place to put things, it's kind of nostalgic to me.

Do you teach classes or workshops?:
No, I'm still the student.

No comments: