Tuesday, July 4, 2017

NEW STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR WHITE COCKATOO KNITS

Stallhholder Profile for White Cockatoo Knits
https://www.facebook.com/White-Cockatoo-Knits-862133960508782/



Your Name: My name is Carole Lee

Your Business name and facebook/website link: My facebook page is White Cockatoo Knits https://www.facebook.com/White-Cockatoo-Knits-862133960508782/

The suburb/town you live in now: I live in Ipswich, but have been living up in Central Queensland for a while.

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?: I make hand knitted items. I learnt to knit over 50 years ago, and am still learning new techniques! My mother taught me to knit, and as she was left handed, I learnt to knit left handed. I never knew any different, until I was around 20 and someone mentioned I was knitting wrong! I couldn’t understand what she was saying, but eventually we established that I was knitting left handed! I never knew any different!



It actually made sense, as whenever I followed the instructions to knit the ‘Right front’, I end up knitting the ‘Left front’, and I couldn’t figure out why! I’m basically knitting a ‘mirror image’ of the pattern.

Graphs are great, as they are easy to follow.

What inspired you to start your business?: My family and friends have always said that I should sell my items, so I thought I’d just give it a go. I tend to like challenges so I’ll make something once or twice, then mess around with the pattern a bit, and them move on to something else. So I only usually make one or two of the same thing. So they are ‘Exclusive’ creations!

How long have you been creating?: I learnt to knit over 50 years ago

Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?: It's a hobby

Where do you sell your creations?: I will start off at The Handmade Expo, and see how that goes, and then online.



What makes you so special or different?: I enjoy knitting because there’s always a challenge - sorting the pattern out, changing the stitches, yarn, colour. Plus you get something usable at the end of it. I only usually make one or two of the same thing. So they are ‘Exclusive’ creations! 

I have plans for summer knits as well. There are some lovely cotton & linen yarns out there.

Do you teach classes or workshops?: As a Left hander, I would love to give lessons. I have also taught right handed people to knit.

No comments: