Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Stallholder Profile EJ Creative Flair

Todays stallholder profile is for EJ Creative Flair

Your name: Erica Owens

Your business name : EJ Creative Flair.

The suburb/town you live in now: 
We’re situated in Bayview Heights, Cairns

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?: 
I make handmade jewellery with particular focus on glass cabochon items. I also make various original designed bracelets made with semi-precious gemstones and cabochon charms.


What inspired you to start your business?: 
I worked in Community Services for 17 years in varying roles in Disability, Aged care and Youth Worker up until 2012 when I felt a strong desire to focus on ‘what makes me happy’ after feeling extremely burnt out and exhausted  – So I started researching making jewellery. J

How long have you been creating?: 
I started making jewellery in November 2012 as a hobby. I had no intention to sell my pieces but did start showing friends on Facebook. I am totally self-taught in all aspects of creating jewellery. My husband suggested starting a page to show others. So I related it to my childhood nickname of EJ (a.k.a. Erica Jane) and added the creative flair, to describe my pages content.

Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?: 
Began as a hobby for 18 months, but by 2014 we registered as a business.


Where do you sell your creations? 
We sell our creations online via the website and also at Handmade Expo Cairns and The Esplanade Market currently.

What makes you so special or different?:  I
 believe we offer many unique pieces within our collections of Cabochon earring and necklaces. The artwork we use is divine and appeals to many age ranges. My handmade gemstone bracelets are also quiet unique – totally designed by me.

What is the most rewarding part of what you do?: 
We are Corporate Traders for the National Breast Cancer Foundation, so making my Pink Ribbon products has been very rewarding, as we donate a portion of each sale to that cause. Also when customers contact us with photos of our jewellery when they’re wearing it, or send amazing feedback on our FB page in reviews. That makes me feel like I’m making a difference to other people’s lives still, after finishing my career as a carer.
What is your favourite product to make?: 
Anything with gemstones I particularly like, as I feel loads of energy from them, and have found that I really moved to incorporating gems in my pieces, very early on for that reason J

Do you teach classes or workshops?: 
I don’t teach classes or workshops, but certainly would love to be involved in doing that in the future, as my background is in training/instructor in Disability work.

No comments: