Thursday, August 9, 2018

NEW SUNSHINE COAST STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR ELEMENT HEART

Stallholder Profile for Element Heart



Your name: Melanie Jackson

Your business name and facebook/website name and link:
website in works

The suburb/town you live in now: Noosa Heads

What is it you make and what skills do you use:
Currently I crochet all sorts of things and make fiber jewelry.
I'm a silversmith by trade, an old fashioned apprenticeship at a special school in Germany, where I learned to make cutlery, plates, bowls and other things out of metal and other materials. I've done a few other occupations in my life, but during both of mt maternity leaves, I've come back to being creative and dabbling in a few crafts.






What inspired you to start your business?
After having my first babe, I need to do something to keep my brain busy during the quiet days of breastfeeding and I needed something to help with post natal depression. I discovered many many websites and blogs, including this woman's blog where she used crochet to help with her depression. Unfortunately she decided to end her time and there was a tribute being shared which I chose to participate. So I retaught myself how to crochet after 20 something years,
And from there I started to build up a small business to try and supplement our families income. Big steep learning curve from with today's way of marketing and social media.

How long have you been creating?
As long as I can remember, but the business exists since 2016.

Is it full time/part time hobby or business?
Its part time, fitting around naps, housework, another business and daycare days.

Where do you sell your creations? online/markets etc.
I sell online on Facebook, Etsy and Instagram. My website is being updated and rebuilt at the moment. And I sell at markets like the Sunshine Coast Handmade Expo and Noosa Junction Twilight markets.




What is the most rewarding part of what you do?
Seeing a photo after someone received their order and its a tiny little babe being snug in their bonnet or blanket.
Also going shopping for supplies aka yarn, can't deny that, it's exciting.

What is your favorite product to make?
Baby bonnets are a very rewarding product to make, but I think I most enjoy making different and spontaneous jewelry. 

Do you teach classes or workshops?
I would love to start a crochet group, hopefully where newbies can come and join into learning crochet. Definitely on my list.

No comments: