Friday, August 31, 2018

HERVEY BAY STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR KATHRYN'S CREATIONS

Stallholder Profile for Kathryn's Creations




Your name:Kathryn Rodda

Your business name: Kathryn's Creations
The suburb/town you live in now: Hervey Bay
What is it that you make and what skills do you use?: Handmade clothing and swimwear for babies, children and adults



What inspired you to start your business?: When my youngest boy, now 9, was little, he had very short and extremely chubby legs and the shorts I'd had from my 2 older boys were like long pants on him, so I had to make short shorts for him. I've always sewn as my Mum used to make our clothes and also made formal and wedding dresses in our small town. I developed a new found love for being creative and friends began telling me I should sell my items. So I began at small markets in Brisbane before doing larger ones as my range grew. We moved to Hervey Bay in 2014 and with all my kids at school, I had more time to sew. I now have an online store and do local markets and festivals. I've expanded into swimwear, with my passion for modesty for young girls and tweens I have found flattering swimwear patterns that are still fun for girls, but not styles that reveal too much for their age. I've been blown away by how popular my swimwear range is over the summer months.

How long have you been creating?: I've been in my business about 8 years, but I've always been crafty from a very young age. I began sewing with my Mum when I was in primary school and also enjoy doing cross stitch at night time.

Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?: This is my business. I am a stay at home Mum and also foster carer, so this allows me to be creative but also bring in extra money for our kids to do sports and arts and music etc.
Where do you sell your creations?: Local markets and festivals, occassionally I travel to special events. I also sell on Etsy and my website.


What makes you so special or different?: My clothes and swimwear are designed to be fun and pretty, but also with modesty in mind, particularly for older girls/tweens. I believe children should be dressed as children, not in skimpy clothing with inappropriate sayings on shirts etc. 
What is the most rewarding part of what you do?: Sewing for me is therapeutic, I'm not sure what I'd do all day if I wasn't sewing! (I guess there's always housework!) But one of the most rewarding things is when I have return customers coming back time and time again when their children outgrow their previous purchase or new little bundles come into their families. 
What is your favourite product to make?: Oooh, that's tough! I really enjoy making swimwear, as it's a bit different. But at the moment, I love a new dress I've released that is very pretty and has ruffles and bows. I am a Mum of all boys, so anything pretty draws me in!

Do you teach classes or workshops?: Yes, I teach sewing lessons. I teach children from 10 years of age up to adults, of all abilities. I've taught absolute beginners and am also about to offer a range of classes for more experienced sewers who would like to learn a new skill.

No comments: