Thursday, October 11, 2018

SUNSHINE COAST STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR ARTIST RACHAEL CURRY

Stallholder Profile for Artist Rachael Curry




Your name:
Rachael Curry

Your business name and facebook/website name and link:
Artist Rachael Curry
facebook.com/dishyduckdesign/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/rachaelcurryart

The suburb/town you live in now:
Sunshine Beach, Noosa

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?:
 I am predominantly a wildlife artist and do some landscapes also. I use a variety of different mediums, concentrating on pencil and watercolour. I have a range of styles; my main style currently is drawing animals so that their softness and emotion is shown with tenderness. 





What inspired you to start your business?:
I have been an artist all my life, but only started looking at it as a career about a year and a half ago. I was busy looking for additional employment that suited my skill set but with the help of friends and family was encouraged instead to look at using my love of art to create my own employment.

How long have you been creating?:
I actually started selling my art when I was in grade 2! I was obsessed at the time with drawing ducks and I used to sell these for 20 cents each to people in my school.
 I have been creating all my life but also took long periods away from art to do ‘real jobs,’ and got carried away in the busy fluster that is the world.

 I started entering into art shows over 10 years ago and was thrilled to have my artworks so highly received. This gave me the confidence to keep creating and I made myself a habit of finding time in my life for art.

When I am drawing/painting, there is a freedom. Creating can create a space in your mind where time ceases to exist or be relevant, and those little pressures and time constraints in life recede and you realise how insignificant our daily worries can really be.

Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?:
My art is now close to full time. My normal schedule is two market days a week, plus expo’s when they are on, I also always draw or paint at my markets and  at expo’s as I think it is nice for people to see how the art is created.
 I use one day per week for painting at home and another day for restocking, attending to emails and updating my online listings. I also spend one day per week as an account manager for my husband’s business so my days are pretty full!

Where do you sell your creations?
I sell my artwork in person at the Handmade Expo, at the Eumundi Markets on the Terraces Wednesdays and Saturdays, at the Noosa Alive Festival and at other festivals and events as they occur throughout the year.
My artwork is also for sale at Australia Post, Moffat Beach and online through my two Etsy shops.




What makes you so special or different?:
I have a background in working with animals as a veterinary nurse, so when I draw and paint animals I find it easy to understand their physical structure as well as their emotion. I also have travelled Australia extensively and love to convey the light and movement in my landscapes.

What is the most rewarding part of what you do?:
It is hard to say what is the most rewarding part as there are so many factors to consider. The three predominant rewards are the ability to work hours that suit raising my lovely family, spending time ‘working’ when I am only doing what I absolutely love to do and hearing the emotive reactions from my wonderful customers at my markets and expo’s.

What is your favourite product to make?:
I don’t have a favourite product to make. My art is very much about what I am feeling at the time. When I am feeling light and happy I create animal art that is light and happy, when I am feeling deep and emotional I create a landscape that reflects this.
 I guess you can say my favourite product to make is one that I am satisfied making and that will bring out a response in others.

Do you teach classes or workshops?:
 I am a qualified teacher’s aide and I have taught a variety of different primary school art classes voluntarily over the last few years.  I will look at providing lessons outside of school to children and adults in future.

No comments: