Tuesday, June 19, 2018

NEW STALLHOLDER PROFILE FOR ARTIST MARY BIRD

Stallholder Profile for Mary Bird Artist



Your name: Mary Bird

Your business name: Mary Bird

Facebook/website name and link: Art - www.paintingsilove.com/artist/marybird

The suburb/town you live in now: Maaroom, near Maryborough QLD

What is it that you make and what skills do you use?  Original Artwork on paper and canvas; Colour Prints (framed and unframed), Placemat and Coaster sets, as well as Bookmarks featuring my original art.  I use a variety of mediums: watercolour and acrylic paints, pastels, colour pencils, charcoal, and graphite.  As a self-taught artist, I grew up painting landscapes and seascapes, portraits, and still life, but for the past two decades my work has become more spiritual. I have been doing Spirit Guide drawings at fairs and expos for over ten years now. These are quick pastel, charcoal, graphite, or colour pencil sketches for I usually have 30 minutes or less to do them.




What inspired you to start your business?  I started out in "business" as a Tarot Reader in 1996 and my mystical or spiritual artwork branched off from there, really getting underway in 2000.

How long have you been creating? For as long as I can remember. In childhood, my style of art changed when, not liking the clothes that came with my paper doll sets, I designed my own collections. In my teens, I designed and made clothes for friends and workmates, along with selling drawings and paintings. In 1971, I began a Fashion Design course at college, but unexpected motherhood altered my plans.  My artwork has featured on two book covers and one magazine cover.

Is it a full time/part time hobby or business? Both - part time.

Where do you sell your creations? I have sold my work privately, at markets, art exhibitions (I have had three to date), and online. The May 2018 The Handmade Expo will be my first.

What makes you so special or different? I have been told my art is “healing”. Colour features prominently in my work and I believe in the power of colour to heal on a very deep level.



What is the most rewarding part of what you do? Seeing people smile, relax, and let go of their troubles - if only for a little while.

What is your favourite product to make?  Lots - from mystical and mythical works to Spirit Guide drawings and SoulScapes. Many of my creations involve specific themes, bright colours, or movement.

Do you teach classes or workshops? I ran Intuitive Art Workshops at the Maryborough Art Gallery in 2014 and would be happy to consider doing something similar under the right circumstances.

No comments: