Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Stallholder Profile for Nutty Koala

Stallholder Profile for Nutty Koala



Your name: Gayle Lemmon

Your business name and facebook/website name and link: Nutty Koala
 http://facebook.com/pages/nutty-koala
My web site is still in the production stage.


The suburb/town you live in now: Kewarra Beach, CairnsWhat is it that you make and what skills do you use?: Handmade children's wear - my skills are sewing both by hand and machine and pattern making as l have done a course in children's' pattern design. I  also incorporate some beading into some of my sewing, fabric flowers, hand smocking and  embroidery that is done by machine or by hand.

What inspired you to start your business?: I have always loved sewing and this began at the age of 9, and l went from making dolls clothes to my own clothing.  l even made my mother's outfit for my wedding. After I married l had 4 girls and l began making their outfits, l so loved do this and l took great pride in what l made, but l wanted to go one step further, so l decided to do a pattern making course. This helped me to further develop my sewing skills, as l was able to design and make my own patterns, not to say it also saved me a lot of money.  However, sadly my girls grew up too soon, and no longer would wear my clothes. As l had come too hate sewing adult clothing and there was only so many curtains and cushions that l could have around my house l put my machines away for a while. With daughter number 3 marrying and giving me my first grandchild,  followed by 4 more, l soon had my sewing mojo back......l had a purpose once again......which lead to Nutty Koala being born.  



How long have you been creating?: Since l was 9 years old - roughly 51 years worth.


Is it a full time/part time hobby or business?: Part time as l work alongside my husband in his business and 3 days as a receptionist in a Beauty Salon. Would love it too be full time but this is just impossible at the moment.

Where do you sell your creations?: Mostly The Handmade Expo, l do sell a bit online but this is rather slow as l don't have the time to update/maintain my site. 

What makes you so special or different?: My children's clothing are all different as l very rarely do lots of the same design, so most are OOAK. I also think of making my outfits easy for mums too dress their little ones so l  make them adjustable such as:  tie shoulder straps on my ruffled rompers that tie as another feature at the back, and adjustable elastic in waistbands that accommodate the growing child.



What is the most rewarding part of what you do?: Getting pictures of  children dressed in my outfits from my clients. Compliments at the markets on my outfits and even on my fabric choices.

What is your favourite product to make?: Ruffled rompers, as l can pretty these up with lace, ruffles and my handmade flowers that l adorn them with to make them very girly. 

Do you teach classes or workshops?: Sadly no, as l just don't have the time.

No comments: